- Walk up registration campers are welcome to sign up for camp tomorrow at check in at Noon. Just bring all camper registration forms and the full payment check. Follow the signs to the check in area. Everyone is required to come by the check in area to get your meal tickets etc. Dinner will be served tomorrow in the cafeteria for everyone after the first session of lacrosse on the turf! No hats will be allowed in the cafeteria. On the turf, we will build up all the ideas of the game and also do extensive one on one training with counselors at camp this year to let each camper know what specifically they could work on and also point out what they do well. Then we will play some three on three games. College goalies will be giving demonstrations and taking shots at camp throughout! Deceptive shooting will be shown to all. If you keep playing the game till college or varsity high school, the goalies are the greatest difference in skill that increases, but if shooting skills are learned, the shooter always has the upper hand with deception and speed. See everyone tomorrow! For remaining balances; make checks out to Southern Lacrosse Camp.
- There is still space available for the sixth annual Southern Lacrosse Camp! Four days of great lacrosse and instruction on the campus of BSC here in Birmingham! All skill levels and all positions are welcome and will get instruction from college coaches and players. Sign up below!
- *2013 dates for The Southern Lacrosse Camp- June 8-11. Registration forms are available here. Mail them in ASAP. Learn the game from former and current NCAA players and coaches on the great college campus of Birmingham-Southern College. Play on turf fields, stay in air conditioned dorms, and eat in the college cafateria for overnight or day campers! for more questions email Coach Bonasera at firstname.lastname@example.org
- High School players attending camp will have the opportunity to be selected as apart of the Southern Boys select team after camp, and practice on the BSC campus leading up to the TBA fall tournament which the team and Coach Bonasera will be attending this fall.
- WHAT TO BRING TO THE SOUTHERN LACROSSE CAMP:For overnight campers:
- 1 set of bed linens and sheets for a single bed with pillow
- shower towel
- alarm clock
- socks and underwear for 9 field sessions
- mouth guard
- elbow pads
- shoulder pads
Dorms are air conditioned!
Water will be provided at each field session but campers are welcome to bring their own water bottles with gatorade, etc. as well to have in-between sessions to help stay hydrated. Day campers are encouraged to bring a bag to hold all of their gear in-between sessions.
There will be a total of 9 field sessions during the entire camp. On the first day, June 8th, check-in is from noon – 2:00 pm. To find the check-in location just follow the signs once on campus.
- The first field session is at 2:00 pm, Saturday.
- The evening session is from 6:30 pm- 8:30 pm Saturday.
- Day campers can be picked up at 8:30 pm each day at Panther Stadium.
- On Sunday, Monday, and Tuesday day campers can be dropped off at the field at 9 am.
- The field sessions are from 9am- 11:30 am, 2-4:30 pm, and 6:30- 8:30.
- On Tuesday the field session is from 9-11:30 am and check out is at noon.
- Campers will be given one meal ticket for each meal upon camp check in on Saturday.
- No lunch will be served Saturday.
- Dinner will be served on Saturday at 5 pm.
- Breakfast lunch and dinner will be available in between each session Sunday through Monday.
- Tuesday breakfast will be served but not lunch.
All Meals are served in the college cafeteria. Day campers who want to go home between sessions and eat are allowed to do so and can be picked up at Panther stadium after each field session.
In between sessions day campers are welcome to stay but they will not be allowed to hang out in the other overnight campers dorm rooms unless they receive permission from Coach Bonasera first. There will be a designated commuter lounge area in our designated dorms on the first level near the check-in area which will be monitored by counselors. The loading dock area where check in will be will also be the commuter lounge area. The second floor lounge area in the dorms with the tv will also be a commuter lounge area. There will be strict camp parameters for where they are allowed to go on campus which only includes the cafeteria when our meal times are, the check in area by the dorms designated for us, and Panther stadium field. Campers will be dismissed from camp immediately without a refund if they do not stay in these boundaries or abide by any of the other camp rules. Campers are not allowed to take the screens off the windows in the dorms and are expected to respect the environment they are in on this great campus at all times and to respect the other campers around them as well per the terms given in the camp forms. All campers must stay away from the soccer fields in the middle of campus near the dorms and no lacrosse balls should be thrown around windows or in the dorms.
Individual and small group lacrosse lessons are now offered by Coach Bonasera. The cost will be $70 per person for the hour and a half lesson. If interested just email Coach Bonasera at email@example.com.
For the lessons, there will be a focus on high repetitions and fundamentals. The first 15 mins will be spent warming up and adjusting equipment, then the hour will be spent on: position specific drills, individual fundamental skills, team field sense ideas, as well as any other requests from the player/parent. Coach Bonasera also likes focus on first step quickness, off hand repetitions, off ball awareness, and shooting. Lessons will be held on the turf field at Birmingham-Southern College.
“As a follow-up to the recent Southern Lacrosse Camp, the kids from our school that attended said it was an enjoyable experience, they were especially bragging about the food! (Go figure). My son told me he had a blast and was “pumped’ about winning the shooting contest.” -A father from Georgia
“My son learned a lot at your camp and is still talking about it. He looks forward to returning next summer!”
-A father from Alabama
I just wanted to take another opportunity and tell you how much I appreciate the time that you and your staff invested in the Southern Boys program. The members of this team were given an invaluable gift by you and the other coaches, and I am sure that these boys will appreciate this fact even more in the years to come. In addition to the personal instruction, you have reinforced for these boys the life lesson of “giving back” to their community. As the single parent of a young black man who strives to surround him with positive male role models, I will be forever indebted to you and your staff for the contribution that have made to my son’s development.”
- A mother from Birmingham